Seafarer Workforce Report - The global supply and demand for seafarers in 2021
The Seafarer Workforce Report (previously known as the Manpower Report) is the industry standard resource for those seeking the market intelligence needed to develop crewing and training strategies fit for the future.
Prepared by BIMCO and ICS, this comprehensive report details the global seafarer workforce supply and demand situation. With contributions from national maritime administrations, shipping companies, maritime education and training institutions and industry experts, this report is considered to be an essential tool for those tasked with developing crewing and training strategies.
The 2021 edition contains:
• Details of the demographic composition of the supply of seafarers.
• Forward projections for the likely supply and demand situations over the next five years.
• Identification of various maritime training, recruitment and retention trends and their potential consequences.
brought the essential role of the global seafarer workforce to the forefront of the world’s attention. Charting the course of developments within the global seafarer workforce has never been more important.
Prepared jointly by BIMCO and ICS every five years, the report publishes estimates of:
- The balance between the global supply of qualified and competent seafarers available for service on ships trading internationally, and the industry’s demand for seafarers to operate the world merchant fleet;
- The composition of the seafarer workforce that operate the world merchant fleet, including demographic information on nationality, rank/role, age profiles and gender; and
- The anticipated future growth of the world merchant fleet over the next five years and the potential implications for the global supply and demand of the seafarer workforce.
3. Current Supply of the Global Seafarer Workforce
4. Current Demand for the Global Seafarer Workforce
5. Future Supply and Demand for Seafarers
Appendix A – Estimated Global Supply of Seafarers in 2021
Appendix B – Estimated Average Operational Crewing Levels by Ship Type and Tonnage
Appendix C – Maritime Education and Training (MET) Institutions Questionnaire
Appendix D – Methodology and Data Limitations
Appendix E – List of Respondents
- Number of Pages:
- Binding Format:
- Book Height:
- 295 mm
- Book Width:
- 210 mm
- 0.6 kg
BIMCO and International Chamber of Shipping
- Published Date:
- July 2021
- Publication Date:
- July 2021